9.08.2010

Birthday for Lindsay

I like it when Lindsay has a birthday because then she is only 1 year younger than me. I get so excited about it that I buy her presents and write her cards and stuff. This year her birthday started early. It is pretty slim pickins up here as far as cake makers go but I happened to know that Lindsay enjoys the cake that Glenn’s makes. It wasn’t my birthday, so I didn’t argue. I went to Glenn’s and ordered a white on white sheet cake. So at 6:30 AM I presented Lindsay with her cake.

Birthday Wish #1 - birthday cake in bed. 

IMG_0574IMG_0575

For the first time in her life though Lindsay scurried out of bed before hitting snooze 4 times so she didn’t get her cake in bed but she did get it before she went to school.

Everyone at school was really sweet to her for her birthday and they had 2, TWO!, more cakes for her (not pictured). Carrot cake, and chocolate cake.

I picked her up at school and she came back home for a little post-work snoozin. After she had rested her eyes a bit we walked up to the library for:

Birthday Wish #2 - rent and watch a movie

It was her birthday so I let her choose two Non-Marvin approved movies.

Not exactly Casablanca and Inception but again, it wasn’t my birthday.

Following our trip to the library, we headed off to dinner at a place we were saving for her birthday.

Birthday Wish #3

We are both big Mexican food fans and our favorite celebratory restaurant in Grand Rapids is Beltline Bar but since there is no Beltline Bar here we hit up the next best thing. Red Mesa. Red Mesa Grill is part of a family of restaurants called Magnum Hospitality. We already visited one of them in town called Cafe Santé and we enjoyed it greatly. I would put our experience at Red Mesa up there with finding out we won the lottery (I can only imagine), running a sub-four minute mile, sailing solo around the world, and potty training my cat. The food was somewhere in-between extremely excellent, and somewhat exquisite. Hands down it was the best Mexican food we have ever had that wasn’t actually made by Mexicans. The best way to describe it was that it was the absolute value of getting punched in the face (the value of getting punched in the face is –25 on the fun scale so Red Mesa is a 25). I don’t even remember what we got except that we both brought most of it home because as usual, we loaded up on free chips and salsa and Dr. Pepper.

We headed home after RM and ate some cake for dessert. I brought out some gifts that had been sent to the house for Lindsay and she tore into them like a rabid wolf. I thought she would damage the actual gift but she is very skilled in the art of tearing things open, neither gift was damaged. IMG_0576

First she received a bag thing from my sister Betsy. I assume it is meant for holding guns and transplanted hearts because it was waterproofy on the inside.

IMG_0580

Next, she tore into a gift from my sister-in-law Andrea.

IMG_0582

IMG_0586 IMG_0587

This one was like the other one except bigger. Lindsay was very excited so maybe it was meant for packing Barbie Dolls or dismantled sub-machine guns. She loved her gifts and wanted to make sure they would be seen by all her blog readers as most of them are gun lovers.

After presents and cake we watched SnowBound. It featured Doogie Howser and his wife and child getting stuck in the snow but then rescued. It was OK with an absolute value of maybe 2. After that we watched RatRace. It was horrendous.

I enjoyed spending time with Lindsay on her birthday though, she is my love and  best friend. I look forward to her next birthday because then she will only be one year younger than me.

IMG_0588

5 comments:

  1. Oh how I love a Marvin post!

    It looks as though it was a great day, Linds.

    I am guessing all your guests may be stopping by the Red Mesa from here on out. What a wonderful find!

    I especially appreciated your description of Lindsay's gifts, Marv. Awesome.

    oh, one more thing...
    I had no idea that Doogie Howser had a wife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red Mesa = yum for sure. It's a chain you know right? There's one right across from Kari's in tc. anywhoo nice post, he's so sweet when he wants to be! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when Marvin posts, not that I don't equally enjoy it when Lindsay posts :)

    Glad you had a good birthday, with hopes of many more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad Lindsay had a good birthday! And that she has a husband that documented it so well for all of us that couldn't be there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's "guys night" at the Geysbeeks and I'm sitting on the couch trying not to snort from holding in my laughter while reading this post. Oh Verwys' how we miss you! Happy birthday to Lindsay.

    ReplyDelete